Istanbul has two international airports, Ataturk International Airport (the main airport- the European Side)
TAXI/PUBLIC TRANSPORT FROM THE AIRPORT:
Taxis and public transport serve both airports:
- Airport Taxi (Atatürk): A taxi stand is located outside the arrival area, in front of the Terminal Building. Taxi service is provided by the Atatürk Airport Taxi Cooperative. The journey takes about 50 minutes. The cost of the getting from the airport to Taksim or Harbiye area is about 25- 30 EUR.
- Airport Car Rental: Atatürk Airport is a convenient place to rent a car when you arrive.
- Havas Airport Shuttle Buses: A special company named "Havaş" will take you form the airport to the city centre, Taksim Area, for a designated price. You can catch the Havas bus every 30 minutes from the airport. The journey to the city centre may take 45-60 minutes. Detailed information can be found on the following website: www.havatas.com.
- Istanbul Airport Shuttle Buses: This shuttle bus will pick you up from any airport and take you to the door of your hotel, regardless of the area it is located in. You have to make a reservation through their web site prior to your arrival:www.istanbulairportshuttle.com.
- There is an IETT express city bus 96T connection from Istanbul Atatürk Airport to Istanbul city centre. The bus leaves the airport every 50 minutes. The price is 3 TL (approx. EUR 1). This is among the most inexpensive ways to go, but also the slowest and least convenient.
- You can also take a Metro from the airport to Taksim area; You will have to change trains at Yenikapi station.
Participants are requested to check with the Turkish consulate in their home country or their travel agency for visa requirements.
As of 17th April 2013, the electronic visa (e-Visa) replaces the “sticker visa” which was issued at the border crossings. Applicants just need to log on to www.evisa.gov.tr, provide the requested information, (after the application is approved) make the online payment and download their e-Visa.
Please note that e-visa is only valid when the purpose of travel is tourism or commerce. Other purposes, such as work and study, require a regular visa given by Embassies or Consulates.
You are kindly advised to have a travel document/passport valid for at least 6 months as from the date of your arrival in Turkey.
For any questions concerning passports and visas, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: www.mfa.gov.tr/default.en.mfa.